You can use one of the following methods to generate you private+public key pair:
1) generating the key directly in the rsync backup for Android application
Select "Generate keys" from menu and follow instructions. Private key will be saved to /sdcard/dss_key, public key will be saved to /sdcard/sdd_key.pub and sent to you using preferred method.
Check out the Guysoft's weblog for tutorial with screenshots.
2) using dropbearkey tool
dropbearkey program is distributed in dropbear package (at least in Debian/Ubuntu).
If your *nix distribution doesn't have packaged dropbear, you can obtain sources here:
To generate your key, you should run:
dropbearkey -t dss -f dss_key
Your output should look like that:
Will output 1024 bit dss secret key to 'dss_key' Generating key, this may take a while... Public key portion is: ssh-dss AAAAB3NzaC1kc3MAAACBAO54x8/XT0unnG1GUKmRi0Qy4a3kW54nBOzopEXstekcUHxnVOBr BausXadH16IkfHGxpfzZKUuk/GbURG1C3eb+V2wdp/31u6aws1n86AvimQw1Hupq0gwNE8YrtxT7HMFT tOXadgh26vnQYyiEgZ7pnAxJuLXBlp60AtXLTmt5AAAAFQDIKaAP0LHU3whwxt4AHb53xYq4RQAAAIA+ uW4u5pQ1lZlJzVKOVnNAafKLGTz5KLeuInYflGqr8IVkcQ9UFyQ3OoLSu6S/OVCnqIVIZpF7aWOXCxMT LWkE3EqmNnIIW0y8WI1BDsM+Yf3Mj3BNVyK+/aEVehw8qyj1zeUJKhVcLo/3hbEQIlLWi8B8f2+ZW8M0 GyhcCXr8ewAAAIBwRX63NTnBf4eFqVzIW86peZFzbIifihwnjXWagLC8KQGvn0GIrWX7Gpa9RWVTRlk5 QrDyTpKxgIRAcnx24cKp4rnlWuLsYU6iIYdblEBIDQe7y9PUquFszh20MGMgRqdAb6IGuT11qgt7mbK u4H66+NeKORBQhA9Mt60OdcMTlQ== android@bender Fingerprint: md5 30:f1:a4:9e:8e:17:a1:6e:09:78:d9:6f:42:c6:8a:88
You should paste line that begins with "ssh-dss" and ends with "android@bender" (note this is a single line) to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file in your backup user's home directory on the server which will receive rsync data.
3) using dropbearconvert to convert openssh key
Assuming you have generated your key using ssh-keygen (and that it's stored in ~/.ssh/id_dsa, you can convert it to dropbear format by running:
/usr/lib/dropbear/dropbearconvert openssh dropbear ~/.ssh/id_dsa ~/dss_key
Key is a DSS key Wrote key to '/home/android/dss_key'
Please remember to include your public key (~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub) in your ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file and to transfer generated dss_key to your Android device. You can do it in a standard way, (mounting your SD card, using "adb push", send via Dropbox, etc.) After that you can choose it when configuring rsync backup for Android's profile.
You can install rsync backup for Android in one of these ways:
- download from Android Market
- install using AppBrain
- download rsync4android.apk and install it on your phone (you won't be notified about updates)
OI File Manager
In order to use "Browse" buttons when configuring profile you will need to install OpenIntents File Manager. You can download it for free from Android Market or from the OpenIntents webpage (+ OI Update for updates).
Please note that you don't need to install it to properly configure a profile, but in that case you will have to manually provide required paths.
You can run one of your configured rsync backup for Android profiles as an action in Locale and Tasker (look under plug-ins).
Remote Notifier notifications
Profiles can be configured to send finish notification using Remote Notifier. For more information please visit project's webpage. Please make sure that Remote Notifier's test notification is properly displayed and that you allowed to send and receive third-party events in Remote Notification's settings.
You can support further development of rsync backup for Android by:
- using one of these referral links: Dropbox, dealextreme, snip.pl, Rapids.pl (polish only), mydeal.pl (polish only)
- PayPal donation:
- BTC: 17u4Fs6SrxZn3Nm1BgxeeukBgfCJb3qd14
Legal noticersync backup for Android uses rsync binary compiled using Android NDK toolchain from the following source code: https://github.com/sammael/android_external_rsync (forked from dylex/android_external_rsync).
version 1.6.1 (12 Apr 2011)
- fixed fc on install
version 1.6 (11 Apr 2011)
- German translation by Swen Simon
- removed ads
version 1.5 (14 Dec 2010)
- Spanish translation by Alejandro Endo
- fixed back button handling
- fixed fc when no connection
version 1.4 (10 Dec 2010)
- custom rsync options
- rsync command preview during profile edit
- dry run from profile context menu
- orientation change bugfixes
version 1.3.1 (8 Dec 2010)
- added Japanese localization (thanks to Matsuu Takuto)
- fixed handling screen orientation changes
version 1.3 (4 Dec 2010)
- Remote Notifier support
- rsync in reverse direction (server->phone)
- job terminate button
- public key saved also on sdcard
- several bug fixes (including proper saving alternate SSH port)
version 1.2 (29 Nov 2010)
- Locale/Tasker plugin support
- added key generation using dropbearkey
version 1.1 (28 Nov 2010)
- profile edit fields validation
- removed disturbing warning about failed creation of .ssh directory
version 1.0 (25 Nov 2010)
- initial version published in Android Market